Saturday, February 27, 2010

WOW, just a great day yesterday. The downtown area is so exciting right now as the Olympics gear down. The crowds are huge, but depending on the time you can still visit certain pavilions. I was lucky enough yesterday to watch the entire game, Canada Vs Slovakia. There is always such rowdy crowds for the men's games tonight was no exception. I was "working" at section 110, a little to the right of the net. Great spot and most fans stayed in their seats during the game so I was able to watch most of the game, talk about a nerve racking last 5 minutes. The shouts of USA were a little premature. It all worked out and the show down is Sunday vs USA. The noise level inside is so loud when any team scores, but when Canada scores forget it!! It was so amazing to be able to watch the game. The only incident was a couple of drunk guys who were annoying the lady in front of them and I just called security and they kept an eye on them. I did not venture downtown after the game,but stayed closer to CHP. I can only imagine what it was like dtown, as the crowds were pretty lively were I was.
I went to the Ontario Pavilion, they had a 4D movie (6 minutes) showcasing the province, it was very well done and the effects were too cool!
The volunteers are now winding down as for many last night was their last shift, so there were good byes and email addresses exchanged. I was working with Lorraine and it was her last night and she was very glad that her last shift was such a great job! When our section left last night there were lots of high 5's and a hug from a Don Cherry look alike. Don and his friends sat in our section, their tickets were not for this section but asked if they could sit there. It was fine as long as the ticket holders didn't show up. There were a few empty seats in this section and at our discretion we let a few people sit there. The rumour is that the seats belonged to some Russian fans but they were so upset just headed back to Russia.(apparently poor losers). Another rumor is that the president of Russia also headed back and will not be present to receive the Olympic flag on Sunday, but will send a delegate. Also talked to one of the performers in the closing ceremonies, another great show is planned. I asked if he could get me a ticket but no luck, I will try on Sunday after the game. I do not want to go downtown after Sunday's game, either I will go to the closing or head home and watch on TV. Weather we win or loose the crowds will be crazy, I heard a young adult at the bus stop talking and saying that if Canada does not win be prepared for riots. The police presence will be so strong I am sure it will be kept in control.
Question: Why would a grown man paint a red maple leaf on his bare chest, walk around drinking beer and yelling and think he is cool? Boggles the mind! he was the obnoxious guy in our section last night.
I never knew what a big deal pin trading was. I have given out most of the Brockville pins I have but not worth anything on the Pin Market, (I know that is shocking to hear). Pin trading is serious business, there are vendors set up all over the place and the occasional rogue trader on the street alone. I have a few pins and made the odd trade, but not like the serious trader.
Two more games to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment