Monday, February 8, 2010

First few days in Vancouver

It has been a hectic few days, but so far a good experience. Woke up very early Sunday morning to catch a 7:30 flight. Even that early in the morning I could feel the excitement. From the intense security check, to having a great looking group
of RCMP officers on the plane, I know that I was starting a great adventure. Once arriving at the Vancouver airport more excitement Olympic signs everywhere, all sorts of personnel walking around in Olympic gear, Canada shirts everywhere! Glad that the airport at that time was fairly quite so I could take it all in. At the luggage carousel facing me there was a group from Russia picking up their luggage. The rest of the day was pretty quite just settling in at my temporary home for 3 weeks. Monday morning looking like a real tourist in my winter coat, camera and note pad with directions on how to get around. The night before I wrote down bus and Sky train routes to pick up my uniform. Getting there was pretty easy, took a little over an hour. When waiting at the bus stop I met a girl from Halifax who was also on the way to get her uniform, then we met another girl from Victoria, who was also a volunteer but knew her way around so she should us how to get to the PNE. Getting the uniform was really fun, everyone is upbeat and friendly. While I was getting my uniform the lady, Francis, that was helping me said I should go downtown and pick up my ticket for the dress rehearsal as it was not that much further. So after more detailed instructions from Francis I headed downtown. The uniform looks really nice, good thing I like the colour blue. What a beautiful day it was turning out to be. The temperature had to be around 15c. People were out in Tee shirts and the occasional person in shorts. People were sitting in out door cafes! Are you Easterns jealous yet, I hear snow is on the way. Walked around down town for awhile, just taking it all in. Picked up my ticket and then headed back to Surrey. People were so helpful with directions. I only messed up once but soon found my way with the help of a nice young man. He actually walked me to the correct bus, noting that there were allot of crack heads in this area. As luck would have it the Olympic torch was passing right in front of the house that I am staying, I got home just in time to watch the relay and take a few pics. I will put up pictures in a day or so. Tomorrow no Olympic activities planned but will give an update after the Dress rehearsal for the opening ceremonies.
Few notes, met a group of CTV reporters from Toronto, also one of the writers of " With Glowing Hearts. Volunteers are nick named the Smurfs, you will know why when you see the uniform.
I have already collected two pins, that is the hot trading item, but I do not think I will get many as I forget to get some pins for Brocville before I left.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Carol,

    So happy to hear your first day was so awesome. This is so exciting! Can't wait to read more. Keep 'em coming!
    P.S. Jim says "hello"!

    Carole :)

    ReplyDelete