Friday, February 26, 2010

It is hard to keep track of what day it is...I am on the home stretch now. Three more shifts before heading home on Monday morning.
Last night the women's' gold medal game. What a difference in the crowd compared to the men's. The game was on Thursday afternoon (western time) a much calmer group than the men's' evening game the night before. Fans coming in the gate did not have the same rowdy spirit as the men's but once the game started they made up for it. I did not see most of the game but was able to catch the last few minutes and the medal presentation. Is is such an emotional feeling watching these very talented women receive their gold medals. You also feel for the US team lots of hard work etc...silver isn't bad though. The pressure on the men's team is incredible. tonight is another must win game. I actually work 9 hours tonight, that should be fun? There was a big crowd also on hand for the victory ceremonies, Burton Cummings (Burt as he is called here) was the headliner. Not sure who is playing tonight but I am working anyway.
The staff of VANOC have been so nice to the volunteers. There has been allot of grumbling at the way things were organized for the shift scheduling etc..quite a few people have dropped out, rumour has it that it was about 40%. So for the ones that are left they are trying to make sure that things are fair and that we are treated properly. Every third shift you get a small token of appreciation, last night we had our own medal ceremonies and everyone was given a medal. Then on the last shift we all receive a watch. I have had a great experience and like any business there was room for improvement and we wonder if some people just volunteered just to see the games. When I volunteered I was prepared to take on any role that was offered and luckily my roles have been varied. Hoping that my last few shifts see me inside the arena. There are always people who know how to work the system, and it is disappointing to the ones that have come here with the best intention and for all the organizers.
One of the best experience here is the friendliness of everyone. (almost everyone). No matter where I am, bus, skytrain, walking, working etc. people always smile and say hi. The number of people that have thanked me for volunteering is amazing and when they find out that I am from the East it is like wow, so appreciative.
I also have the transit system down pat. When I first got here I carefully wrote down detail instructions, now it is like okay take the 345 to King George etc..however I still get lost in CHP place, the other night after returning a wheel chair to the first aid station I got lost and went out the wrong door and set off an alarm. OOPS. Of course they let me back in but a pretty embarrassing time.
Last night went to Robson Square, it is a very lively part of town, versions of O Canada breaking out all over the place, people watching Joannie on the big screens and when she got her medal lots of cheers and tears an emotional skate for sure.
Another topic of conversation is that the Russians are not liking the food here. Whatever!
Anyway it is cool and rainy here, and I am off to get may Starbucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment