Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Tuesday Feb 23, 2010
Tonight I will be working the 4 - midnight shift. Canada is playing Germany in a must win game so it should be pretty exciting.
Not sure how I am going to like the late shift but I will let you know, I only have to work 2 nights to midnight than the next few days the hours differ every day until closing ceremonies.
What can I say about Sunday's game. There was so much excitement and noise that it was hard not to get caught up in the party! The US fans were even hoping for a victory so that there would be a big party after. This was the busiest day so far for Men's hockey as all games were important, it was also dubbed Media Sunday as the coverage for the day was incredible I worked the tents outside for most of the day, luckily the day was gorgeous. Joe Sakic came thru the tent I was working, so I had to ask Joe to empty his pockets etc.. All the guys at the tent commented on his hot wife. Wayne was there but there was such a huge crowd around him it was impossible to get near him. It was definitely a party like atmosphere while waiting for the game to start, at times you could not even hear anyone in conversation or hear the beeps from the scanners. When I did get a chance to watch the game what a view. A sea of red! The mood leaving the rink was very somber and the ride home was "ugly". There were allot of unhappy fans. Lets hope for a better result tonight.
After my shift I bought a ticket from a scalper to go to the victory ceremonies.
This was also fun, hosted by Ben Mulroney, Tamara Taggart this is a very lively and upbeat show. The gold medals are given out here and there is a live broadcast from Whistler. It is so amazing to watch the happiness in the faces of the athletes when they get their medal. After the medal there was a performance by Tropper and Lover
Boy. A pretty decent concert. Then the journey back on the Skytrain with the unhappy Canada hockey fans. Lots of blame on the goalie. There was this guy in his mid 20s alone, and seriously crying, everyone around was a little uncomfortable until we heard him on his cell saying why he was so upset" Man I lost a ounce I am so p___ off" ! Pretty strange scene to say the least.

Yesterday I had a day off so I went to Stanley Park. It was beautiful The weather was definitely spring/summer like. Walk for what seemed miles, but the scenery is incredible. People on bikes, roller blades and walking. Stopped and had a nice lunch at the Tea Room, sat overlooking the ocean and the mountains, pretty awesome. The restaurant was full of Russians I may have been the only Canadian customer. Back in the city I met and talked with Kyle Parrot (speed skater Canada) and his mother. What a great experience they were having.
If you like Sushi Vancouver is the place to be. My recognition sign for the bus stop is "Sushi and BBQ (BBQ what I do not know)all you can eat.
Off to Starbucks now for my Cafe grande in a venti cup!
The big winner of the games has got to be The Bay, Olympic Store the line ups are ridiculous still, and they are now opened 24hrs a day. I will not wait 2 hrs in line to buy then wait even more to give pay..Buy share in the Bay.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Carol,
    I'm officially living vacariously through you! Sounds like such a great experience so far! Enjoy every minute of it! Carole :)

    ReplyDelete