Friday, February 19, 2010

Friday February 19th
Belarus vs Sweden. Another beautiful day. I missed the bus this morning because I forgot my gloves and had to go back to get them. Went to another bus stop and actually found a shorter way to the rink. this bus took about 45 minutes. The Skybus was very quite, and I was told that Friday traffic is usually light. I had to check a few times to make sure I was going in the right direction and I also got to sit the entire way. Once you get off the Skytrain and start walking to CHP you already feel pumped about the day, people on the street stop and ask directions or info. For some reason people think that when you are wearing your blue Smurf jacket you know the answer to everything, I am getting better in knowing where things are and how to get around so I can even sometimes help out. It will be a shame once I take off this blue uniform I will return to a mere mortal. Today was another great day for hockey. I worked out side for part of the day. I worked in a tent helping security. This is fun, you get to see all the fans and everyone is so happy. the sun is shining and they are going to watch an Olympic hockey game. We try to move people as quickly as possible through security, security is pretty much the same as when you go to an airport. The Swedes are pretty imaginative in showing loyalty to their team. One lady had actually made a dress in the Swedish flag, blue wig etc..
The other responsibility that I had today was again in the media area, not the same section this time, high security section. Only Media and Olympic families were allowed in. We are told that anyone with the code of Olympic family is to be treated as high priority. I had a few walk through but I had no idea who they were. The rest was just media, mostly Belarus and Swedish. This section was very busy especially at the end of the game. People do not walk they basically run to the press conference area, which was one level below me. Most of the reporters had pen and paper I do not recall seeing any recording devices, and the camera lens are huge. I get the feeling this is a very competitive line of work. Then I went back into the stands, to make sure no one tried to sneak in at sit in the media seats. I talked to a reporter from USA Today, Washington DC.
The days go really fast and you are always talking to some one new.

February 18,
USA vs Norway
Today I was working on the 5th level the "premier suites". During regular season this suite is owned by Best Buy, but because VANOC took over all the seating for the Olympics the suites were open to the general, or whoever could afford. Suite 540 is amazing, beautiful furniture and all silver and bluish, with the best food around. There is plenty of sushi and salmon and speciality foods, all you can eat. The booze is not free, so many patrons opted to go down to the 1st or 3rd level to buy the cheaper stuff. This area is also for the VIP's. I met Brian Burke twice, obviously I thought he looked sad and only offered my sympathies and he just said a polite thank you. I saw him a little later and he asked if he go into to another suite, even though he did not have his credentials on him. I of course said sure. He was there alone and as soon as the game was over he quietly left. I also so Ken Hitchcock, I did not know who he was until he told me, then of course I let him know that I was cheering on Canada!


Then there was the little game of Canada vs Switzerland. The way my shift was working I only stayed to the middle of the second period. There were the coaches from Norway, a very good looking bunch! Nice suites and very quite. Oh yeah I also talked to the rink announcers for both the English and french language. the French announcer was so nice and thanked me for being a volunteer and what a great job we all were doing.
I actually did not hear the final score of the game until I got home.
Notes:
Went to the Canadian Mint Pavilion, there you get a brief lesson on the making of the medals and you get a chance to hold all 6 a( 3 Olympic and 3 Para Olympics)and have your pic taken with a medal. The rules here were pretty strict also, (VANOC again) You could not kiss, bite, or do the victory sign or pretend that this is your Olympic, really pretty dumb rules. The medals are really nice and there are no two alike.
Tried to go to the Olympic Store at the Bay and still at least an hour wait. So I was forced to go shopping on the other side. There were great sales in lots of the other departments, I just happened to buy a few essentials:)
I have also visited some of the pavilions. I tried to buy a ticket for the victory ceremonies on Sunday but they were sold out. I talked to a scalper today so I will just buy one on Sunday after my shift.
Not including Canada I think that the fans from Latvia make the most noise.
The Finns and Swedes have the best costumes.
Working Saturday and Sunday, but everyone is already talking about the game on Sunday. I hope I get a good post for this game.
Also saw Sean Cullen, today, so being the intellect that I am I say" are you Sean the comedian? What is the proper thing to say when you meet a famous person anyway?
That's about if for now, more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment